The History Of Connecticut's premier real estate firm
The William Pitt Company was founded in 1949 under the visionary leadership of the late William H. Pitt. As a passionate 23-year-old entrepreneur, Mr. Pitt opened his real estate office, with just six dollars and a telephone, on the second floor of the Roger Smith Hotel on River Street (now Washington Boulevard) in downtown Stamford. His dream was to build a real estate network dedicated to fulfilling the needs of its clients by delivering extraordinary customer service. For the fifty years he led his namesake firm, Mr. Pitt's dream was realized by building a full-service real estate company serving Fairfield County and its surrounding upscale marketplaces.
In 1998, Paul Breunich took the helm of William Pitt Real Estate and through his leadership brought the firm through its greatest expansion. He incorporated the image of the pineapple, the universal symbol of hospitality, into a newly designed logo.
The Pineapple continues today to represent who we are, what we stand for, and what you can expect.
In 2005, William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty was born as an affiliate of the prestigious Sotheby’s International Realty brand, offering unparalleled access to the world’s most distinctive properties through its global network of affiliates.
The firm’s sixty-year history of local market expertise and impeccable customer service was now combined with the global reach and worldwide renown of the Sotheby’s International Realty brand.
In 2008, the firm established an equity partnership with Building and Land Technology, a second-generation real estate development company based in Stamford, Connecticut. Building and Land Technology has completed ventures worth more than $3 billion including over four million square feet of commercial development and 4,000 residential units. Their current project is the 80-acre mixed-use Harbor Point development on the west branch of Stamford Harbor. The four-phase project will consist of 4,000 new housing units as well as 1,000,000 square feet of commercial space, including offices, hotels, retailers, restaurants and a full service marina.
In October 2009, William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty acquired the Litchfield County brokerages of Sotheby’s International Realty, Inc. The brokerages were subsequently re-christened as Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty in recognition of the region they serve and the successful track record that was established. Also in October 2009, William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty acquired Julia B. Fee Sotheby’s International Realty, establishing four brokerages in Larchmont, Rye, Scarsdale and Bronxville, New York. Julia B. Fee Sotheby’s International Realty traces its roots back to 1953, when Julia B. Fee founded her namesake firm.
In November 2009, William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty acquired Juner Properties, the premier boutique real estate firm in Stamford, Connecticut. Founded in 1986 by June Rosenthal, a local industry pioneer with over 40 years of real estate experience and a past Stamford Citizen of the Year, Juner Properties was built on the commitment to serving its customers with uncompromising integrity. The addition of Juner Properties solidified William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty’s position as Stamford’s market leader.
William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty, combined with partner firms Julia B. Fee Sotheby’s International Realty and Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty, is now the largest Sotheby’s International Realty affiliate globally, the third-fastest-growing real estate company nationally, and the 23rd-largest real estate company by sales volume in the United States. With the global reach of the Sotheby’s International Realty brand representing buyers and sellers of fine real estate in more than 44 countries and territories, we provide marketing exposure that no other firm can offer.