As shades of reds, oranges and yellows continue to emerge all around, it’s time to start thinking about how to make the most of the fall, and all the natural beauty the season has to offer. From pumpkin patches and apple orchards to hayrides, hot cider and more, visiting a pick-your-own farm with opportunities to gather and of course, take a bite out of some crisp and delicious locally grown apples, is a great place to start. So round up the family, and head out to an orchard nearby! Here are a few of the best apple-picking spots to visit in Westchester County, Connecticut and the Berkshires.
- Harvest Moon Farm & Orchard: A fabulous family outing awaits those who plan on visiting this North Salem, NY orchard. McIntosh, Golden Delicious and Liberty Macs are all ready to pick throughout the month of October, while special festival weekends that include music, hayrides, face painting, pony rides and more, make for a brilliant autumn outing.
- Wilkens Fruit Farm: This Yorktown, NY orchard is open daily with opportunities to pick from a wide variety of apples, as well as partake in the farm’s homemade apple cider, freshly baked pies, donuts and unique gift items. Be sure to plan a day to return in November, when a special “choose-n-cut” Christmas tree option becomes available as long as the trees last.
- Stuart’s Farm: Located in Granite Springs, NY, this pick-your-own farm offers more than 19 varieties of apples throughout the season, which starts in October and runs through November. Hayrides are also available for kids on the weekends.
There are plenty of other apple picking options throughout Westchester County! For a complete list of the best local places to go, visit Westchester Magazine’s website here.
- Silverman’s Farm: Discover the total farm experience at this Easton, CT farm, where an abundance of apples, pumpkins, as well as homemade and custom items from the Silverman’s Farm Market, are available. When the apple harvest comes to an end, be sure to stop by again to enjoy a scenic weekend tractor ride from one of the highest points in all of southern
- Blue Jay Orchards: If you live near Bethel, CT, be sure to plan a day trip to this apple orchard, where guests can pick from the farm’s great harvest options. On Columbus Day weekend,Jonagold, Ida Red, Cortland, Red Delicious and Mustu apples will be in their prime and ready to pick.
- Beardsley’s Cider Mill & Orchard: Enjoy fresh cider, apples, pies, donuts, fruit breads, pumpkin cheesecake, maple syrup, local honey and more while at this Shelton, CT farm, which embodies the ultimate New England fall experience.
- Bishop’s Orchards: This Guilford farm takes pride in its fresh fruits and vegetables, offering numerous opportunities to pick your own harvest year-round. Through late October, take a tractor ride up to the apple orchard, where a scrumptious fall crop awaits.
- Scott’s Farm and Greenhouses: Choose from over 25 kinds of apples throughout the season at this family-owned, charming orchard in Essex, CT. The business also has a farm in Deep River, CT, where apples and other seasonal items are available.
Litchfield County & The Berkshires:
- Ellsworth Hill Orchard & Berry Farm: Not only can you pick your own apples and pumpkins at this Sharon, CT farm, but you can also get lost in a large corn maze that is now open to the public. Other fresh seasonal produce and homemade items are available as well.
- Averill Farm: Operating since 1746, this Washington, CT business offers countless apples and even pears to pick. The local farm also sells cider donuts, tea breads, applesauce and pies, as well as hard ciders, sweet ciders, apple wine and homemade jams.
- March Farm: Celebrating 100 years of family farming, this Bethlehem, CT orchard destination was voted #1 by Connecticut Magazine for two years in a row.
- Lakeview Orchard: In addition to seasonal cherries, plums and raspberries, this popular Berkshire orchard overlooking Hoosac Lake and the stunning mountains of Lanesborough, MA, presents the perfect setting to apple pick while surrounded by the vibrant colors of fall in the Berkshires.
- Green River Farms: At this working farm in Williamstown, MA, countless autumn activities are right at your disposal including discussions on agricultural protection with the farming experts, opportunities to pick a bag of seasonal, farm-grown crops, as well as take in and capture the scenic views of autumn in New England. This favorite spot in town also has a unique corn maze, which lies beside the farm’s orchard.
Countless apple-friendly farms grace the sweeping countryside of the Berkshires. For more local apple-picking options, click here.